WRC Radio and TV Studios
These photos and
text in blue
are from a booklet printed shortly after WRC moved
into their new radio-TV facilities at 4001 Nebraska Avenue Northwest.
Construction began in 1956 and the building was occupied in 1958.
(Click any picture for a larger image.)
To your right is an artist's rendering of the new building.
Its 91,370 square feet of floor space provide room for three
television studios, three radio studios, a technical center,
two announce booths...
six million feet of wire are laid throughout this carefully designed
structure, and the power facilities required to operate it are
sufficient to light some 1500 homes.
Three radio studios that can be controlled from the control
board of any single one of them, at any time, form the heart
of WRC's new radio broadcasting center.
Their unique engineering design makes it possible
for WRC to send one program out on AM, another program out on FM
and still a different program over the NBC network -- all
Each studio is visible
from the other, and double-glass windows between the control rooms
and studios serve to deflect sound downward so as to protect
In both of these pictures
we're looking from the control room into Studio One, the largest
of the three radio studios, and the one from which the Joy Boys show
Complete recording facilities -- both tape and disc --
make possible reproduction of programs for delayed broadcasts.
As far as your webmaster can recall, the studios and equipment looked much
the same throughout the Joy Boys' run on WRC, ending in 1972.
I was also fascinated by the monitor speakers in these studios.
They were operated by a relay system which allowed the speakers to play
music in the room, while the microphones were live, without causing
feedback. This was a 1950's system using tube amplifiers and relays
for switching. Even now, most radio stations don't have that
feature... it's normal to completely "mute" the studio speakers
whenever the microphones are on.
Here's the cover of the WRC booklet. Inside the cover, another sketch of
the building and tower, with the words
The new look of WRC-TV and WRC in Wasington -- heralding a new
"Age of Color" in Television... a finer future in Radio...
This copy of the booklet was autographed by Ed Walker and Willard Scott.
These images are only part of the 12-page booklet. If anyone would
like copies of the entire booklet, which contains much more information
on the history of WRC-TV, please
For more technical details on WRC, visit
The Great 98 web site,
especially their Tech Talk section.